Award-winning portrait photographer, Melanie Anderson, uses her passion for community to create visionary works that emphasizes her family-first values, desire to continuously develop her craft, and educate others.
Melanie has nurtured Anderson Photographs from a home studio into the 3000 square foot custom photographic studio, specializing in Seniors, Children, Newborns, and Families, located in the Arts & Entertainment District in downtown Hagerstown, MD.
It is no surprise that even though Melanie is primarily self-taught, she gladly undertook and overcame the challenge of becoming a Certified Professional Photographer in 2011, and received her Craftsman Degree in February of 2015. Throughout the process, she continued to run the business as well as mentor for After Dark Education, go on tour with Sandy Puc and appear on SPTV.
I am a Spider Holster Fanatic! My Holster is part of my everyday equipment use, and the ability to be ‘hands-free’ allows me to artistically create without my camera hanging from my shoulders and/or neck.
Along with being the President of the Maryland Chapter for PPA, teaching at SEPPA and several State PPA Chapters, and most recently filmed several segments for Photovision. Melanie stays passionate about one-on-one mentoring and works diligently to provide educational resources to fellow photographers through Anderson Education; which includes webinars, eBooks, videos and workshops. Melanie is also a Shutterfest speaker and monthly contributor to Shutter Magazine.
Whether in studio or on location, I’m never concerned about the security of my camera, it’s ALWAYS hanging from the side of my hip.
Melanie is a wife to her husband of 20 years, Bill, and a mother to their 4 children, Sarah, Emily, Kayla and Billy.
Her awards and achievements include:
- Member of the Professional Photographers of America (PPA)
- Certified Professional Photographer
- Craftsman Photographer
- Fuji Award Winner
- 2013 Washington County “Person to Watch”
- Maryland Achievement Award
- 2014 Greater Frederick Maven Awards of the American Advertising Federation Photographer of the Year
- Hagerstown Magazine Hot List #1 Photography Studio – 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2014
- Maryland Photographer of the Year – 2013
- Maryland Portrait Photographer of the Year – 2012
- First Runner Up – 2013
- Maryland Illustrative Photographer of the Year – 2014
- First Runner Up – 2012 & 2013
- Maryland Wedding Photographer of the Year, First Runner Up – 2013
- Maryland Best Portrait of a Man – 2013 & 2015
- Maryland Best Portrait of a Woman – 2014 & 2015
- Maryland Best Portrait of a Family or Group – 2014
- Maryland Best Portrait of a Child – 2014
- Maryland Wedding Photograph of the Year – 2014
- Maryland Most Creative Photograph of the Year – 2015
- Maryland Meyer Rivking Memorial Award Best Portrait of the Year – 2015
- Maryland Best Black & White Photograph of the Year – 2015